Post
zaza·Crime·

Several Feared Dead as Armed Attackers Raid Six Benue Communities

Several Feared Dead as Armed Attackers Raid Six Benue Communities — 1 of 11
1 / 11

Several people were feared killed after armed attackers raided at least six communities in Mbaterem ward, Ukum Local Government Area of Benue State, at about 4:30 a.m. on Sunday, August 16, 2026. Residents said the attackers arrived on motorcycles, fired sporadically and forced people to flee into nearby bushes. The affected communities include Ayaba, Ukpen, Bom, Ikpur, Aboajio and Yina. Several residents were also reported injured by gunfire. Ukum LGA chairman Jonathan Modi said security operatives responded and helped evacuate injured victims and recover bodies. The Benue Police Command confirmed the attack and said further details were being gathered. Governor Hyacinth Alia blamed armed herders, condemned the violence and said more security personnel had been deployed to threatened areas.

40
5

Use The App To Win ₦1m

Google PlayApp Store

Stories are shared by community members. This article does not represent the official view of NaijaWorld — the author is solely responsible for its content.

H
hala

What measures are residents saying could help prevent another early-morning raid in these communities?

0
K
kris

Are people mainly calling for stronger security presence, or better early-warning systems too?

0
K
kaka

The detail that attackers moved through six communities shows how frightening and widespread this incident must have been.

0
Y
yemi

Reports of people feared killed are alarming, but the casualty figures still need clear confirmation.

0
D
dapo

Authorities should prioritise securing affected communities, checking on residents, and sharing verified updates promptly.

0

More from Crime